Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Pox and Spring in Ljubljana

Spring in Ljublana - the willows along the river are vibrant green, the chestnuts are budding, and apple trees blooming.  I thought Ljubljana was pretty in the winter, but now she's really even more lovely.

I had an unexpected encounter with the medical facilities here, due to a spreading rash that I hoped was allergies.  It wasn't.  I escaped Chicken Pox as a child, only to get it as an adult.  The first clinic I went to was a lesson in waiting...almost three hours to be seen by a doctor who told me I had Small Pox.  "Don't worry," she told me, "it's very common here."

I must have looked very worried, so she went on to assure me.  "Most children get this, but we can get you medicine."

Then I realized she must have meant "Chicken Pox."  From this clinic I was sent to the Klinika Za Infekcijske Bolezni, where I was put in isolation for a few more hours, until another doctor confirmed my diagnosis.  One week of anti-viral medication and two weeks of antihistamines later, I think it's gone.  Because it's highly contagious, I had to stay away from my students and any enclosed spaces where I could spread it, but now back to class and life as usual.

Just in time to enjoy Spring and get back into the swing of classes and mid-semester.

One lesson (of many) of living abroad:  Expect the Unexpected:)









No comments:

Post a Comment